It's time for another Lady Skater, this time in pink! I really can't say more good things about the pattern than I already have, so check out my previous post for the full details :)
Also, I was totally going to brave the NYC winter and get some shots with proper lighting for you this weekend. Then it snowed. And there was three inches of slush outside. Unfortunately, my snow boots don't speak lady skater, so you guys get Christmas-y living room shots instead...
This time around, I made some pretty significant modifications to the pattern...and I have sleeves!! I'm trying my absolute best to make clothes that are a bit more seasonally appropriate. A girl can't live in cotton sun dresses forever!
In the winter, (or any time really. Who am I kidding?) my absolute least favorite thing to do is get out of bed. So, I tend to get up and put on clothes that remind me a lot of my pajamas. Week after week, the staples I reach for are jersey dresses and cardigans. It just doesn't get any better that putting a dress on that feels like pajamas.
Side bar: my boyfriend constantly complains that women get to wear soft, cushy clothes all the time, and men wear uncomfortable wovens most of the time. Anyone know why? I've got plenty of work-appropriate pjs ;)
Getting back on topic here, I modified the bodice pattern slightly to accommodate this awesome border print I picked up locally. The swirly tulips at the waist are actually a separate waistband. I measured the width, subtracted it from the bodice, sewed on the waistband, and continued construction like nothing happened. Sneaky and awesome, in my opinion.
I was a bit nervous that the waistband/armbands wouldn't stretch properly since they were not cut on the DOGS, and this fabric was not a 4 way stretch. It worked out fine, though. If your fabric has any sort of stretch to it on the cross-grain, I think it will work.
I also switched out the skirt for a simple gathered skirt. I cut two 20 inch panels and gathered them with elastic before attaching them to the bottom of the waistband. Although I love the original skirt, it takes up a lot of fabric. This was an easy way to save some yardage and get a more fitted silhouette. I didn't bother hemming the bottom. The fabric just happened to have a pink band going around the edge, so I left it. I don't think I'll hem it unless it starts to fray or something.
The only thing I'm really not happy with is the neckband, which is not an issue I had with my first version. I cut a size 3 (my last was a size 4) for this version, and somehow ended up with a much wider neckline that gapes just a bit in the back. I could not for the life of me get this neckband to lay flat using my normal method, so I cheated a bit: I attached 1/4 inch elastic to the band and pulled it ever so slightly to tighten it up a bit, then I folded the whole thing under and zigzagged over the top. It worked a lot like a bias facing, and stays flat 90% of the time. I'm kind of hoping it'll shrink some more in the wash and be fine :)
Overall, I'm really happy with this make: it's pretty, fast, and pink!
Plus, I get to wear pajamas all day. Take that 9-5.