Sunday, May 4, 2014
Stripes and bows
Now that I made the commitment to Me-Made May '14, I'm thinking it's about time I start documenting the backlog of projects sitting in my closet. Some are waiting on little things like buttons before I can wear them. So typical.
I do however, have like 4 makes that need to be photographed, so hopefully I'll get to that soon. Now that it's really starting to warm up it's getting so much easier to take pictures of things! Last weekend, I headed to the Chicago Botanical Gardens for the afternoon. Spring is just starting to bud, and it was so nice to get outside for a little while.
Anyway, this stripey beauty is New Look 6150 which I've made twice before (here and here). My last version of this view was totally wearable, but came out pretty big for a knit, so I decided to size down. Big mistake.
This fabric, while super cute and awesome, has a white stripe that is significantly less stretchy than the main red part of the fabric. That made it a bit too tight across the bust, and a little see-thru. In the photo above, you can see the pulling on the side seam at the bust. Although this is the third time I've made this pattern, I'm still having issues with the fit/neckline, so I'd say this is far from a tnt for me.
That being said, I put a bow on it, so I'll probably wear it all the time anyway. One of the things that really sells me on RTW clothing is details. If there's a bow, flower, or fun trim on it I'm sold. So, one of the things I'm trying to do for my handmade "basics" is make them a little less basic. Because I don't really do basics anyway.
Until next time, put a bow on it, y'all.